Earlier this summer the FAA launched the Part 107 Small UAS Recurrent exam through the FAA’s FAAST online training portal. This is great news for all drone pilots. The Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate must be renewed every 24 calendar months and prior to the launch of this new system you had to pay $160 and retake the exam at an FAA testing center. Now you can do it for free! The FAA’s FAAST system is an excellent resource for ongoing training and information about UAS. Once there, just do a site search for “Part 107 recurrent”. Select “Part 107 Small UAS recurrent-Non Part 61 pilots“. (Part 61 pilots are those who already hold a current pilot’s license.)
5 good reasons to complete this training
- New rules permit nighttime flights as long as you comply with a few easy to follow rules which include maintaining visual line of site and the use of anti-collision lighting. If you already have a daylight waiver it will no longer be valid. You’ll need to take this training to make it current.
- Flights over people will be permitted in limited circumstances as long as you comply with the regulations.
- Even if your current certificate is not set to expire anytime soon, once complete it you reset the clock on your 24 calendar month certificate.
- The training will serve as a great refresher and bring you up to speed on the latest rule changes.
- Even if your certificate is expired, completing this training will make you current.
You can easily complete the training in under 2 hours. Once complete just print off your certificate and keep it with your documents. I carry a binder with all relevant information such as a copy of my part 107 certificate, registration certificates, insurance certificates, maintenance logs and flight logs.
If you’ve never logged into the FAAST system before just set up your profile and you’re good to go. While you’re there look around at the many other great resources available. I have found its a good idea to be well versed in the rules and regulations. If you are ever questioned about the legality or legitimacy of your operation it will be easy for you to provide answers and documentation to support your position.